View Single Post

Old 08-23-2019, 08:02 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
CV.33 Girls und Panzer

Here we have the second of the "Official" Girls und Panzer paper tanks downloaded directly from the fan site. Originally released in 1/24, I resized it to 1/35 to match the scale of Type 89 I-Go that I built earlier. I made no other adjustments to the model.

Based on the prominent dashed lines, I assume the model was originally rendered using Pepakura, and then converted to a PDF file. The I-Go had the same dashed lines, but they weren't so visible. Unfortunately they really pop on the desert yellow CV.33. Another weird distortion that you sometimes get with Pepakura skins that are taken from screen captures, etc. Is that some features may be replicated on multiple faces. For instance, when viewing the model from the front, the headlights appear as simple round discs on the vertical face. When viewed from above, however, the entire headlight housings are duplicated in 2D on the horizontal face.

The 10 piece model is simple and easy to build. It's also very well designed, and assembly was trouble free - everything fit together perfectly. The pictorial instructions are excellent. The machine guns are normally just one layer of paper thick, but I laminated mine to 1mm cardboard. I may lop them off and make new ones from small diameter dowels for a better look.

In the anime, CV.33 tankettes are fielded by the Anzio Girls High School team. It's a poor school that spends a large part of it's budget on festivals and parties. The school's emblem is a stylized pizza, and the girls have nicknames like Pepperoni, Anchovy, and Carpaccio. Not very PC, but it's all in good fun. There's no outrage over stereotyping Europeans, after all.

I'd like to have a grouping of at least three GuP tanks to display at the IPMC in October. The final model at the fan site is an ARL-44 fielded by the BC Freedom High School, a French girl's school. To represent the school, I may recolor/resize one of Wayne McCullough's FT-17's instead. It would be more in line with the vintage and size of the two GuP models I've already built. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33a.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33b.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33c.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33d.jpg   CV.33 Girls und Panzer-cv33e.jpg