Thread: For the Cats
View Single Post

Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Cute pic Meece!

Cats watching TV is an interesting phenomenon.

All our cats do it and it appears they are not watching the actual program, but light specs on the screen - I don't mean snow, but a moving spec within the movie - like lights or water reflection.

Similar effect to a laser pointer - which no matter how amusing it is should never be used with cats as it will cause eye damage if flashed in their eyes when they are playing. Use a low powered penlight torch rather.

The jury is still out as to what cats can see in terms of colour - possible only blues and greys.

They do have blurry vision to a degree and because of this and their colour perception do not really recognise features or detail.

I wear a lot of hats and have certainly found that our cats recognise me if I stick to the old faithfuls. A new hat or a hat in a different shape throws them, unless they also have the vocal or scent clues associated with me.

Vision is also poor in terms of focus and focal range. Good only out to around 20-30 metres (why cats get run over and appear to lack any road sense). They also cannot focus closer than around 10 inches - which I am sure you have all noticed when you initially put a treat or something down for them.