View Single Post

Old 11-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everyboy,

unfortunately, in the photos one cannot recognize the course of the GH2 Press. Line so good like that of the GO2 Press. Line, which is why I could not measure the length of the slant up to the lower two bendings directly. Therefore, after putting the Attachment on the ET, I could only mark the distance to the first bending after a painstaking threading of the dummy across the LO2 Feedline and through the opening of the small Support in front of the TPS Cladding, what a stressful fiddling was.

Then I've tried to get made the two bendings with the round tongs in the smallest spaces, especially since their distances are minimal, as can be seen from this image.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

And that's how the bended Copper dummy looked like,

which one can see here in the provisionally installed state.

But somehow the shape and size of the lower bows did not agree, which were a bit too big,

because, as one can see on this image, the upper bending in front of the slant is much closer to the GO2 Press. Line.

Source: NASA

After this first impression, I've immediately took the Steel wire (Ø 0,4 mm) and bent it, but it is much harder and more resistant and therefore more difficult to bend, especially in the lower part of the double bendings, which is why several trials and test fittings were necessary.

At that it turned out that one can perform the lower two bendings only halfway accurate, if one leaves at the lower end first a longer end piece in order to be able to bend at all, and this only then shortens accordingly afterwards.

Threading the line was only possible directly at the Attachment,

whereupon it could be put then onto the ET, in order to try then to insert the lower end into the rear Ice Frost Ramp (R24), but what was not successful instantly, because sometimes either the inclination of the slant or its length was not right, or the distances of the lower two bendings, or all together, what was enough to drive you up the wall ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)