View Single Post

Old 11-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.11 MB
I see I'm late to the game here, but these are super interesting to me. As for the dates of the company's existence, I wouldn't assume that the Zaragoza model puts it out of 1936. Zaragoza at the time was the "2nd city of anarchism" after Barcelona, where many of the militia members depicted in the scene would have originated. In those first days, Zaragoza was the primary target of the anarchist columns of Catalunya. The Durruti Column came quite close, I believe within 30 km, to reaching Zaragoza within the first weeks of fighting, before being held back by pro-state "advisors," and shortages of supplies and equipment. Hindsights tells us they could have taken the city, which was poorly defended, then and there, and delaying a few months gave the defenders the time they needed to make it an impossible task.

When I look at this model, I see the same propaganda value as all the slogans "ĦA Zaragoza!" written on the column's trucks and tanks. Similar to Mallorca, I would guess the model to be propaganda aimed to inspire young recruits by predicting a bold victory, and they were probably both produced that summer, when there was so much hope, rather than after the defeats. Just my two cents.
Are there any more examples from this company beyond the 4 you found? Thanks so much for this amazing research! Its been a joy to look through, and I can't wait to try out these 4.