View Single Post

Old 11-24-2019, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

after the two ET/Orbiter Assemblies are now finally completed, there is always still a small line missing, and this is the so-called LH2 Recirculation Line (Ø 4''), which can be seen here on the ET-45 (STS-47).

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

The line looks relatively simple and has a slight kink at both ends,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

in front of each time a Protective Shroud sits.

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. I (Lockheed Martin)

And so plain and simple looks this part of the Airfix Kit, whereby the two Shrouds are missing, which is not the end of the world.

First, I've tried it again with a Copper dummy (Ø 0,6 mm), and then I've tried to drill out a Rod ( Ø 1,2 mm) for the Shrouds stepwise in the center up to Ø 0,7 mm, which is not that easy with this diameter.

After the temporary installation of the Dummy, which did not cause any problems,

I've then bent an Evergreen rod (Ø 0,7 mm) for the final line.

As already mentioned, drilling out can not be made immediately to the final inner diameter (Ø 0,7 mm), because the drill can slip too easily and does not stay in the center, therefore carefully step by step.

After that, I've cut off small 0,5 mm wide rings and had to find out that the bore had run eccentrically inwards, so unfortunately only the front ring could be used.

That's why I then drilled out only still 1 to 2 millimeters and then cut off the ring so as not to produce too much rejects.

And that's how I actually managed to make three useable rings,

and to thread them onto the rod, whereby the line looks significantly better than the Airfix cripple.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 11-24-2019 at 05:11 PM.