View Single Post

Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")

Dear all

This photo

evokes a huge number of memories and feelings for me, as I am sure it does for everyone who watched the moon landings.

Along with every child on the planet I thought that one day there might be a realistic chance of going to the moon, since it was being said this would easily happen by the (then far off) year 2000. Of course that is not how things turned out.

I have always though it would be nice to make a paper model of an astronaut on the moon. So some time ago I decided to buy Ken West's 1/4 scale "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon" which at the time was available on Ecardmodels, and intended to have a go at making it. (Currently at the time of writing this, the only Ken West Models on Ecardmodels since the rebuild are his XB-70 and Apollo Command Module, however I am sure it will be uploaded in due course).

However I got engrossed in building a model of the Saturn V. That is almost at an end and so my mind has been returning to the idea of making an Apollo astronaut on the moon.

But these last few months I have been thinking about if it would be possible to build a paper life-size version of Ken West's model. I have been looking at the instructions and parts, and, after some consideration I have decided to have a go.

I thought some people might be interested to see how this goes, so have decided to start this thread on the project.

I should add that

1) I have no idea if this can be done
2) If (1) is possible whether I am able to do it
3) If (2) is possible how long it will take me

So I have no time scale or deadline and am just going to "see what happens". If it is possible I expect it is going to take me quite a while. With a bit (or rather lot) of luck I may well get to (almost) be on the moon (with Buzz and Neil).

So if you are interested why not come along and join in. Here goes...

Regards

Kevin