View Single Post

Old 12-31-2019, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
Happy New Year to All!

Here is my latest completion. My son and I went out during Christmas vacation and saw "Midway". It was fun and he was impressed by the plight of the torpedo planes and did some research on Torpedo Squadron 8. So for Christmas, he got me a Devastator and a B-25 both of which were featured in the movie. It was a really thoughtful present. He got it on Ecards and it says Texas Tailwheel Flight Training designed by Aaron Murphy on the download. It was a fun and simple build with only a few changes on my part. It lacks formers so it relies on the paper to make the general shape and this makes for a fast and enjoyable build. I was really pleased with how the petal design on the torpedo came out. I must say that the end result is very appealing and sure looks like a Devastator! I only added a couple of aerial masts, wire, made it in-flight with retracted wheels and a spinning prop and did some post-shading with an airbrush to give the rendering some depth. I also added some paint chipping. My only real problems were the wing fillets which I just cut in two and added separately and try as I might, I couldn't get the fuselage stars to line up correctly. However, it all seems to make an eye-catching finished model. I made the stand from and old bathroom towel holder I saved after a remodel. Works great!

Thanks for looking and again, Happy New Year!!
Dan
Very cool. I had that commissioned and I liked how mine turned out, too! - pictures here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/404190-post16.html