View Single Post

Old 03-05-2020, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Thanks. I realised perhaps this thread sounds too much like a lot of complaint. I was hoping to write this for future reference, so other builds can avoid some of the issues of this model.

Moving on, support structure for the wing comes in three parts, the wing box, and the two wings themselves. By design, the idea was that they slot together at the wing root after each have been fabricated with the skin attached. So, essentially, butt joining as plastic models would. But, I would not possibly do that, instead foregoing the joints and making it into one whole piece.

This is basically an entire sheet of formers and nothing else, and a lot of cutting. It looks very nice at a distance, but there are many area that still need to be reworked, sanded or cut away, once I prepare the wing skins and figure out exactly how much they are off. Make no mistake, grey card is difficult to cut. Three blade tips were harmed in the making of this part. The reason for picking grey card, as opposed to the much nicer white or black card, is because grey card is 'gentle', i.e., soft. There is plenty of room to work around any issues it may have, and much less likely to prop up a bump on the skin.

One thing I do like about this design, is the way the pieces interlock (you can see an uncovered 'tooth' outboard of the gear bay) and still provide some very reasonable strengths in all directions. Learned something new
Attached Thumbnails
Curtiss XP-55 Ascender 1:33 [Orlik]-img_20200305_211342.jpg   Curtiss XP-55 Ascender 1:33 [Orlik]-img_20200305_211349.jpg