View Single Post

Old 05-06-2020, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Life-Size torso of Neil continued

Dear all

So it was onto the neck ring for Neil. A long part this turned out to be and needed to be spread over 4 parts

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13934.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13935.jpg

When formed into the ring it was still a big part as shown below, with Gene for scale.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13936.jpg

I then cut out the (large) former, still using 2 mm thick card. I really took my time since I though it important it look as round as possible. I so wanted a good fit, so slightly nervously glued it in place

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13938.jpg

As you can see it went in like a dream. Now just to attach it to the torso.

What a nightmare! Just to see each tab to get glue on it was difficult. Some of them seemed impossible to hold the torso, see the tab and squeeze the glue. Here is one "typical" position

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13939.jpg

I would have to use a combination of a hand, elbow, head and even my nose at one point, to "hold" the torso, sometimes peering out the edge of my eye. The other arm fully outstretch holding the glue near the bottom of the tube, coming in at odd angles (through the arm hole in this case). When I tried to squeeze the glue tube, I could just about manage it and my hand was shaking all over the place. I really thought a few time it was not going to be possible. However, down to a lot of luck I just about managed to get glue on all the tabs. So here is the neck ring attached looking from underneath

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13946.jpg

and then looking down through the neck hole

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13944.jpg

I am very relieved. There were a couple of times I though that joining the torso parts together to prove to be a mistake and not be manageable.

Regards and take care

Kevin