View Single Post

Old 05-07-2020, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
I'm learning a TON about the graphical design side of things with this one... and that was the main intent. I'm not making progress as fast as I'd like though. I've been having some neuro problems for the past while, and the doc hasn't settled on a diagnosis, but is treating it like I have fibromyalgia. So some days I just have no energy or I have a lot of neuro pain.

But, the things I have learned:
* What CG people refer to as "decals" are not entirely the same thing as what model makers think of
* KitOps, DecalMachine, and the like are far too overblown for what we need as markings on paper models
* Learn to love baking textures from a complicated, high poly object down onto a simpler one that can be unfolded.
* Learn to have many UV layers and manage them
* Many UV layers will drive you crazy
* Hide your detailed objects from rendering and being displayed once you have baked them onto the low poly version as a texture. If you need to rebake things, you really do have to re-enable that high poly object to make things work properly. [I wasted many hours trying to figure why I couldn't get a texture to bake.]
* KISS - duh
* I need more CPU and GPU. Even with a 8core i7 @4ghz and a GTX1060, I am waiting on numbers to crunch.
* CPU and GPU fans can make some noticeable noise when you really load them up.