View Single Post

Old 06-08-2020, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

after the Flour coating had dried through long enough, I carefully brushed off the excess flour.

While the result on this side looks perfect,

on the other side there were some strange unevennesses that I didn't like it. There was probably too much spray adhesive on it, or I had pressed the flour on too hard, which is why I've tried to gently flatten these areas with the abrasive sponge,

and then to slightly deepen the grooves between the strips again with a needle.

Let's see what these places will look like after the priming, maybe I have to sand back everything anyway a littlee bit before painting, which I will still test on the Intertank Dummy.

But this looks already better again, and on the Original Tank (ET-8) not all places look the same too.

Speaking of the original tank, I should have had a closer look at it beforehand, then I would have noticed that the Nose Cone area at the top, immediately after the 12th Ice Frost Ramp, was applied as Closeout and is therefore smooth.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

Therefore I carefully removed the flour layer there again.

Now I will airbrush the primed Intertank-Dummy to be able to assess the effect with (above) and without smoothing of the flour layer (below),

after which we're smarter then.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)