View Single Post

Old 06-14-2020, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
As I mentioned, the double former, butt join method is not my favorite.
This is about the fourth model (of this style of assembly) that I have tried in the last 15 years
and this is the fourth time I have been unhappy and disatisfied.

I think the biggest issue is the white finish, which makes the seams and joints stand out more than usual,
and any imperfections or misalignments of fuselage connections are glaring.

I have decided to experiment with tabbed joiner strips...something I am more comfortable with.
(I can include these in the kit, and the builder can choose whatever build style they want)

Following my usual aircraft fuselage method, I start at the nose...assembly the first section with a simple strip joiner..
then add a full tabbed strip to the rear of the section....
then connect the next (pre-formed/pre-assembled) fuselage section...
THEN install a single former into the fuselage positioning it at the seam.

Then attach the next section and repeat...

You'll notice an extra inner strip of card in the nose...this is where a former fits.
I want to avoid the deformation I experienced on the first build.

Fitting the front Wheel Well didn't go easy since it is a bit wider than the cutouts in the bulkhead formers.
Not sure why...part of Ken's design I assume.
But with some trimming I got it in, and carefully edged glued it into the fuselage.

For now I am going to assemble the entire forward fuselage, into the cockpit area, with tabbed joiner strips.
I am still considering the rest of the fuselage.

I was a bit confused by the upper(aft cockpit) area and how it all connects,
but I understand it now.
I had an idea to make some assembly changes in this area, but I decided to go ahead with Ken's method,
albeit, I will be only installing single bulkhead formers wherever butt join double formers where intended.

I am most happy with the fuselage connections up front...its the best I could hope for with my skills.
The joiner strip method helped me immensely.

Please note...I allowed the joiner strips to show through in these photos due to back lighting.
and I still did not use 110lb cardstock as Ken suggested which would be a bit more opaque.
But regardless, once completed, the cardstock will not appear this translucent.

I am not planning on installing the cockpit.
I want to build it with canopy closed so you get the full effect of how the white X15 looked.
I want it to be tight and streamlined with the closed canopy.

But I want to keep the option open to install the cockpit later if possible.
Can I do this? Can I come back later and drop in the cockpit with all the bulkheads already in place?

Sainted bovines, that is a thing of beauty!