View Single Post

Old 06-14-2020, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

after the more or less successful test airbrushing of the IT Dummy I have now removed an old burden. And that was the broken tip of the LO2 Tank that fell off the table a long time ago, that's the Lightning rod at the top of the Nose cone cap.

The tip on the Revell-ET of my friend Thomas Emberger, who died in 2017, is approx. 3,5 mm long. But since I remembered a drawing from the George Gassaway collection, I was able to get the exact dimensions from it.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

Thereafter the Length is 14,01'', i.e. 2,5 mm (1:144), and the Diameter is 6,89'', and accordingly Ø 1,2 mm (1:144).

As one can see, this tip has a cone at the front, whose dimensions L=0, 4 mm, Ø 0,5 mm can be forgotten for a total length of 2,5 mm because it should very hard to get it done.

First I've removed the stub on the cap and gradually drilled it out to Ø 1,2 mm.

And coincidentally there is a round rod from Evergreen with exactly this diameter that I used.

Then I've sanded off a 2,5 mm long tip at a slightly longer piece,

and glued it into the cap.

And this is what the tentatively attached cap with tip looks like on the LO2 Tank, which is now complete again.

But I can't glue the tip in yet because I still need the opening for the priming and painting of the tank, for which it is impaled again on the bamboo stick.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)