View Single Post

Old 07-08-2020, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Don, first of all, the exhaust pipes are not foiled but simply painted with acrylic chrome paint. The same that I used to paint the steering wheel and the tops of the windows' frames.
I remember that you asked me some time ago how do I achieve the chrome effect. It was in the thread with Israeli Ford but I don't know if you had read my answer.
Anyway, I decided to do the pipes the way they are simply because the printed ones, in the same color as the other chrome parts, wouldn't look good in the reality. In the theory, yes, they would be the best option but not in the reality. The shape of these pipes would cause a lot of "white areas"(because we can't really call them edges in this case) to appear if they were printed. Then I would have three options. First, paint the white areas with the closest color(which would never be identical). Second, paint the entire pipes with the similar light gray color(still a different shade from the printed one). Third, leave the white areas unpainted. All three variants are horrible in my opinion.
So I decided to not print any exhaust pipes and just make them from scratch(normal paper and chrome paint). It's pretty much the same thing that happend in my Egyptian BRDM-2 where I made the exhausts completely from scratch too, without printing any parts.
Also keep in mind two things.
First, there's also another part of the exhaust, on the underside. I'll use a wire to make it and it will be also chrome.
Second, probably the most important, the varnish. All of my models are varnished at the end. This is especially crucial here, in this 770K. Right now it is matte and definitely not shiny and black enough. The finished model will be darker, with stronger colors and a bit shiny surface.