View Single Post

Old 07-09-2020, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
Painting paper models

Hello

I would like to paint my paper models, because it gives me opportunity not only to built model but to weather it as well (to some degree).

However, the biggest problem I encountered is that paper tend to build waves on the surface the moment it becomes wet. This is what I tried so far:

Applying Revell Aqua Color (acryl paint) directly to the paper model: if the paint it too thick, it leaves brush stroke marks, so I tend to make the paint thinner and paint more layers. But, thinner paint means more water in it and causes paper to bend badly. I applied the same color after applying hair spray (in order to protect the surface of soaking up too much water) but I didn't see any difference.

Applying Revell Enamel paint: it has nice density and doesn't leave any strokes when applied directly from the can. The paper has lot less waves, but the color doesn't look too good (sometimes too glossy).

Of course, all of these tests I made on pieces of paper, just in case anything goes wrong (as it did).

But the main problem is how to protect paper from the first layer of paint which makes it wet. Any ideas or techniques I could try? Thanks.