View Single Post

Old 07-19-2020, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Thank You! Did Not Scroll Far Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
Scan down the pages for links to the plans.
Hi Maurice,

Man, you've got my brain all twisted up now. I scrolled down as you suggested.

I've looked at each drive system, found a patented system, and the patented system on the Short Scion.

Here are some screen shots:
Airspeed Envoy uses a simple angled approach, until you have to modify the prop shaft using a flexible piece of rubber tubing or some kind of spring glued to allow bending as shown in this screen shot. The Beaufighter uses a similar approach:Rubber Band Power-airspeed-envoy.jpg

Now for the Beaufighter, two screen shots showing the similar connection, but has photo screen shot of flexible plastic/rubber tubing used:
Rubber Band Power-beau-fighter-rubber-band.jpg

Rubber Band Power-beau-fighter-rubber-band2.jpg

The B-17 model screen shot:
Rubber Band Power-b-17.jpg

Now for the patented shaft drive, boy this is complicated, it looks like the rubber band is inside the wing and not towards the tail for weight and balance: Rubber Band Power-shaft-type.jpg

Ok, the final model uses another patented system, talk about complicated, uses gears, and has an extension shaft to help with winding. The extension shaft is the "tin" tube part going towards the front of the model after the plywood gear mount. Here are several screen shots showing the system parts in detail:
This is the load bearing mount inside the wing
Rubber Band Power-short-scion4.jpg

Here is the front mount, the brass extension with tin to wind it all with:
Rubber Band Power-short-scion6.jpg

Rubber Band Power-short-scion7.jpg

Rubber Band Power-short-scion8.jpg

Rubber Band Power-short-scion9.jpg

Plenty of options to think about!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 07-19-2020 at 02:58 PM.