View Single Post

Old 07-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
Several years ago I downloaded from the Aries Paper Models website the Mini Saturn 1B Apollo 7 template in 1:450 scale. On the pattern is a very interesting way to model the tanks on the 1st stage. That part of the pattern is in the photo. Over the years I have tried to model this part without much success. Recently I have tried again using different ideas. I decided I needed to put formers in to hold the shape of the tanks. However, the formers need to push out and pull back the tanks shape. In the photo are several formers and braces I have used. I finally did get one that is close in shape.

It is a lot of work to add the formers and braces to the tanks, so I decided to downsize a 1:96 scale template to 1:450 scale and 1:480 scale. It took about the same amount of effort to make 8 tubs for the outside tanks and one center tank as it did for making the former and braces. I think it looks better.

One thing I noticed is that the Aries model is taller than the downsized 1:96 pattern models. The top may be to hold the upper stage, but I'm not sure why the bottom is longer. The diameter of the models are the same. 1:450 scale and 1:480 scale models are too close to see much of a difference.

Has anyone used this method in modeling the 1st stage tanks on Saturn 1B models? Maybe part of the problem is the small scale of the model. It may work better on larger scales. I have a few other ideas I may try, but I wanted to check if any other modelers have built this model using this pattern. Maybe the designer has some suggestions, but I don't see the Aries Paper Models website on the internet anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
More rockets in 1:480-model-pattern.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-test-builds.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-former-braces.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-side-view.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-angle-view.jpg