View Single Post

Old 08-01-2020, 12:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Just adding my 2 cents without trying to rekindle any arguments...

I build paper models and plastic models. I enhance my paper models with mixed media, sometimes I enhance my plastic models with paper and cardboard.

The 2 most recent paper kits I built were from well known paper model publishers, they are paper models that included templates for parts to be made from wire and plastic, does this mean they are no longer paper models? No.

I entered my Modelik Scud in a plastic model competition, there was no paper category, it went up against some very nice plastic models. Plastic model competitions require you to name the kit manufacturer, I named it "Modelik (paper)" It took out first place in it's category and I received dozens of compliments from seasoned and highly skilled modelers. blown away that the underlying base was a paper model, no matter what was slapped on top (putty, paint, brass, wood, weathering).

I was very humbled and proud of my achievement. I am also constantly in awe of the work I see on these forums by people who do not use putty, paint, weathering etc, those of you who can build a paper kit "out of the box" so to speak. Could I build a kit like that, without enhancing it with putty and paint, without covering it in smudges from glue on my fingers and with perfect joins and seams? I doubt it.

Regardless of how they're built or decorated, they're all paper models. Some of us choose to go further than others when it comes to enhancements but my models would be nothing without that paper model underneath and nobody out there can tell me my paper models aren't paper models.

As for new modelers being intimidated by putty and paint, I can assure you the plastic boys are far more intimidated by what we can do, starting with flat pieces of paper. They can't believe we can do what we do, whether we paint it or not. Some of the one's I've met aren't even aware this hobby even exists.

At the end of the day, I'm a modeler, I'm proud of my models no matter what they're made of.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000