View Single Post

Old 08-13-2020, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
The 1st test build was to see if a model could be built using silver gift wrapping paper. I am building the 2nd test model as if it is a 'flight'(display) ready model. Currently I don't have a good solution for stands for models in this scale. However, I want to build them to be stand ready when I do find a solution.

With that in mind and after gluing the Aft Bulkhead to card stock, I needed to have a hole in it for the stand. During the pandemic, I bought a set of hollow punches on eBay for another project that had too many small circles for me to cut. I used the 2mm punch to make the hole in the Aft Bulkhead. In the photo you can see I was a little off center, but this is a test build to experiment with different methods.

The next photo shows the parts I used to put on the model for the stand. The black tube is a plastic coffee stirrer. I am using a plastic tube instead of a paper tube because it should better handle the wear of inserting a stand into the model than paper would. The plastic tube is cut to 1cm(3/8”) and card stock is glued around it with Super Glue. Be sure to let the Super Glue have time to cure before handling.

The over-hanging card stock was cut into 6 tabs and folded outward. Tacky glue was used to glue the card stock tabs to the Aft Bulkhead aligning the plastic tube with the hole. The next photo shows the Aft Bulkhead and the Main Tank.

In the 1st test build I used gray water based paint to edge color the Aft Bulkhead. In the 2nd test build I am using silver paint that I have for my model trains to edge color the Aft Bulkhead. I like using water based paints because of their easy clean-up and other paint may require ventilation to use.

This is in the random thought category. After posting about the thin silver paper and using it in scale-up building of larger Atlas models, I thought the original Atlas rocket was so thin that it had to be pressurized with nitrogen gas to keep its shape. Maybe large scale modelers who want to be prototypical to the original Atlas rocket would use the thin silver paper and put a balloon inside to keep the shape. Of course, there is the problem of keeping the balloon inflated like in the original Atlas rocket. Maybe we can be a little too prototypical in our modeling, but that would be something to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-hole-punch.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-parts-stand-set-up.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-base-main-tank.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-silver-paint.jpg