View Single Post

Old 09-04-2020, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I was thrilled to find out about the UK TV series Ashes to Ashes...the sequel series to BBCs Life On Mars .
More adventures with the Gene Genie!
I loved the original series, even if it was short...only two seasons...but I've seen it twice already and will probably watch it again.
Ashes to Ashes wraps up the story completely, not only extending the adventures, but explaining everything that has happened in both series.

In the followup series Ashes to Ashes...yes, its another David Bowie reference...Detective Chief Inspector Gene Hunt drives a bright red Audi Quattro.
Or should I say, he beats the living hell out of an Audi Quattro!

Both series are built heavily around the music and fashion of the period they are set in...and that also includes the cars of the times.
In the original series Life on Mars, which is set in Manchester of 1973, Gene's gold 4 door Ford Cortina was the iconic motor.
But in Ashes to Ashes, set in 1981 London, Gene Genie drives a 1983 Audi Quattro 2 door.
Yes, the show was set in 1981...but right hand drive Quattros didn't appear in the UK until 1983...just another of the shows anachronisms.
The show is full of little quirks like that, and not by accident.

However, a 2 door car is a very odd choice for the show since most outings involve a 'team' of Gene and three other police officers.
It was funny to see them struggle in and out of the back seats! but I guess that was another of the running gags the characters were forced to endure.
The Audi does have a very roomy back seat...I know because I owned one of these cars...so it would have been comfortable for the actors once they were onboard.

This particular car became something of a British icon in the 1980s since Genes catch phrase "Fire up the Quattro!" was used as a political slogan and in advertising.

A real Audi Quattro was used in the series, although it was refitted with later model parts and completely rigged for filming.
A second cloned car was the 'stunt' car, it featured more prominently in season 2 and 3, and was riddled with bullets and destroyed in the final episode..
That second car was restored to road worthy and sold in 2014 on ebayUK.

Since I owned an Audi GT Coupe...the original street version of the Quattro Coupe...I have a special love for this car.
And I am a huge fan of the TV series Life on Mars and its sequel Ashes to Ashes.
For those reasons, you'll find the Audi Quattro in the Koolwheelz collection...look for it in the StarCarz section.