View Single Post

Old 10-11-2020, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
McLaren MP4/8 Ford, 1993 Japanese Grand Prix (M.A.S.S.)

Hi, everyone!!

A few months ago, I acquired the the 1/24 McLaren MP4/8 by M.A.S.S. Models, something I've been wanting to own for quite some time. I had a chat with the team discussing the shipping and payment, and I decided to go for it.

The kit is wonderfully designed, the print is a very high quality laser print on smooth, white paper. You have three options, the "default" model being Ayrton Senna's race winning car from Donington Park, where he infamously passed several cars for the lead on Lap 1 in the wet. The other two variants are Michael Andretti's Hungarian GP and Mika Hakkinen's Australian GP cars. You can also additionally purchase laser cut wet tyres, they are beautifully engraved, even the smallest of details have been carefully preserved!!

I didn't want to ruin the original model with a mistake, so I decided to print a practice model. I wanted to build the model based on the 1993 Japanese GP at Suzuka, so I used parts from the Australian GP model and made minor modifications, and chopped down the rear wing to resemble the medium downforce spec. I also added Gurney flaps on the front wing, cutting out thin strips painted on both sides.

Experienced modellers will find the model very straightforward, but to me, F1 models are a big challenge, especially cars of this golden era. They look simple compared to today's machines, but misalignments will damage the look of the model very severely.

In the end, it came out OK, but I had multiple attempts on some parts, especially the rear cowling area. If I had built the original without any practice, I would have binned it for sure!!

I have some fond memories of the 2018 Suzuka GP weekend, although I did not see this car in person, I was mindblown just to be at the venue where my hero left various iconic moments...

You can purchase the model by giving them a message through Email or via Messenger (they respond quickly on FaceBook).
Check out their products here: http://www.mass-models.cz/
Thank you Henrich for sending me this precious parcel!!