Thread: El Escorial
View Single Post

Old 11-05-2020, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
It's finished!

In fact it was finished a week or so ago. Because of the size I decided that outdoor pictures would look better. However it's been either too wet or too windy -until today.

It's unusual to have a favourite part but the small chapel in the interior garden is mine. The tower in the kit only has a piece of card bent at 90 degrees to cover only half the top and show the cross. I decided that it wasn't quite enough after all the other details. I took a small foam ball and cut it in half then painted the half with PVA glue. Water colours don't go well with foam but they do with PVA. I finished it of with a small cross painted with gold waterpaint.

I decided not to add any of the crosses because they seemed to be much too big. Looking at photos of the real thing shows that the crosses are almost invisible. I also followed Thomas' advice about the dormers. He felt that there were a few missing, so when I got near the end I counted the spaces and the dormers and there were a few missing (Not sure if I lost a few or there were too few in the kit) I photocopied a few and now all the spaces are filled.

While painting the edges, it struck me that it was a bit like the scandinavian coast line. For small countries they have possibly the longest. This kit has miles of edges to paint - the dormers and the garden walls and parterres making the most.

Any suggestions for a kit that can rival the Escorial ?

I'm now part way through the final diorama of the Czech town. There is a small sting in the tail - that will be revealed later.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0099.jpg   El Escorial-img_0100.jpg   El Escorial-img_0101.jpg   El Escorial-img_0102.jpg   El Escorial-img_0103.jpg