View Single Post

Old 11-08-2020, 06:28 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale

Welcome to my experiment. This build report will show the conception, design and construction of the battleship Ulfberht. I am uncertain as to its outcome, or if it will be completed. If the results are worthwhile and encouraging, then I’ll continue. If not, then I’ll move on to something else.

I enjoy experimenting, so this will provide an opportunity to try some new techniques and revisit some old ones. I don’t know yet what this will finally look like. However, the basic dimensions, hull shape and armament have been determined as follows:

Length = 460 ft
Width/Beam = 91ft

The Main Armament will be four 12” guns in forward and aft double turrets. And two more 12” guns in mid-ship single turrets. There is a precedent for pre-dreadnought battleships with six main guns. See: “Brandenburg class Battleships”.

Here are the first drawings and images of the hull frames. I am using Sketchup to create the waterline deck, keel pieces and cross members. The card is 65lb, laminated/doubled.

Best Regards,
Mike

Namesake: Ulfberht swords are a group of medieval swords found in Europe, dated to the 9th to 11th centuries, with blades inlaid with the inscription +VLFBERHT+ (and variants). That word is a Frankish personal name that became the basis of a trademark of sorts, used by multiple blade smiths for several centuries. About 100 to 170 Ulfberht swords are known. (Wikipedia)
Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-001-main-frame-drawings.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-002-waterline-keel-plates.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-003-bow-underwater-hull-frame.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-004-underwater-hull-frame.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-005-stern-underwater-hull.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-006-bow-underwater-hull.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-007-completed-hull-below-waterline.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 02-20-2022 at 08:30 AM.