View Single Post

Old 11-11-2020, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello dear friends,

actually I wanted to leave it at the result of my previous inventory of the Crawler lighting.

But at one point I'm starting brooding again and again, so that I can't stop thinking about it, which is why I took a closer look at it once again.

It is a matter of this area at the underbody of the crawler, on which one can still see some circled lamps on/in front of the inside of the Trucks, which have not (yet) been taken into account in my previous count, the exact position of which is difficult to make out on my reference photo of the STS-28 (1989).

Source: flickr.com/photos/nasacommons

Since two of these lamps have already got my attention in the video of the STS-6 Rollout,

I've already done some more thorough research and actually found what I was looking for, namely at my friend Mischa Klement, whom I has inquired about the diameters of the crawler's tubular support struts.

On his homepage one can find under Support a very detailed and nicely illustrated construction manual, in which I, among other things, also came across this image, which immediately made my heart beat faster because there the construction is shown at this point, where the lamp can be seen in the video (circled in red).

Source: Mischa Klement (microartwork.com)

This is one of the two attachment points between which the Longitudinal Steering Cylinders of the truck steering are mounted, on the center of which there is also a lamp, as one can see in the following both images.

And those are the three lamps that one can see here again on the Crawler (Corner B), wherewith this last question would also be clarified.

This results in the following modified Crawler lighting, which contains 40 Lamps + 2 Beacons,

which are distributed onto the following 6 LED Circles:

Corner A to D: each 7 = 28
Side 1/Side 3: each 6 = 12

How good that my friend Arno (McPhönix) in wise foresight has again planned in his Electronics 6 circles with each 7 LEDs.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 11-11-2020 at 10:46 AM.