View Single Post

Old 12-01-2020, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The Schneider CD tractor was used in a very specific way. Each battery of 4 heavy guns (155mm GPF or 145mm St-Chamond) in the RALTs (Regiment Artillerie a Tracteur) was towed on roads by Latil TAR or Renault EG trucks. Along with the battery was a Knox heavy truck with a Schneider CD on a trailer. Once a roadhead was reached the CD was dismounted and towed the guns across country to a new battery position. The CD also was used to bring up ammunition. The CDs were an organic part of the RALT organisation along with the trucks. A RALT battery could relocate, often many kms, in a single night, much to the annoyance of the Germans.

The de Bange guns (120 and 155mm) were often towed by trucks but relied on horse transport if they had to be moved off road. The old guns were not expected to be able to be moved around quickly and most often occupied static positions. I should point out that towing a de Bange gun required a towing frame with a pair of wheels. Wayne, or myself for that matter, weren't able to find a drawing or decent images of the towing frame so it didn't get modeled.

So, I'm not saying Schneider CDs never towed de Bange guns but it would seem unlikely. The CDs certainly towed GPF guns and there's a model of that gun on Landships II.

Regards,

Charlie