View Single Post

Old 12-04-2020, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale

Progress has been slower than I had hoped, partially because of other pressing obligations and partially because making up parts has sometimes been frustrating.

It was surprisingly easy to add the finer details (skylight, gun port lids, ventilator) to the fixed turret, although there was some excitement assembling the turret top ventilator, which is a single piece a little less than 5mm high.

The ventilators forward of the funnel proved to be a different matter. I made up the tall slender ventilator first, reasoning that it would be the most difficult to make because it was the smallest. To my delight, it too was not too difficult. Once again I used a suitable brass rod inside the shaft to provide a solid fixing for the finished part.

The two large ventilators just forward of the funnel were an entirely different matter. I formed each shaft around more brass rod. Heinkel’s design for the bowls of all these ventilators is rather unusual and, in this instance, came close to defeating me. The two items you see installed on the model are the survivors of no less than seven attempts to make these two ventilators. The only positive aspect of the entire process was that it demonstrated one of the advantages of modelling in paper or card; when I ruined one assembly I could simply print another copy and try again.

You may notice I have installed one of the ladders leading up to the foredeck. This is a laser-cut paper item that was rather delicate to put together. There were two ready to put in place at one point but the other flew out of my tweezers on to the floor, where I promptly stepped on it when I went to pick it up. I decided then that I should take a break and calm down before resuming this project.

Thank you again for all your encouraging support.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-31.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-30.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-33.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-32.jpg