View Single Post

Old 12-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Interesting that it resembles the Gloster Meteor more than the Me-262.
I see what you mean. Yes, it does look like it.

however...

The intended jet engines for this aircraft project were axial flow compressor jets similar to the Me-262. Those engines were slung completely under the wings in an enclosed nacelle.
Kugisho R2Y2 Keiun experimental concept jet-me-262-engine-installation.jpg

I am not sure why the rendering shows an upper "hump" other than some accessories poking thru needed a fairing.

The British meteor had radial flow compressor jets which were large diameter short engines. Those fit in between the wing spars and were faired at the inlet area since those engines were not sensitive to irregular air flow up front.
Kugisho R2Y2 Keiun experimental concept jet-meteor-inlet.jpgKugisho R2Y2 Keiun experimental concept jet-meteor_engine_1.jpg

Anyhow, the Japanese were years away from operational jet engine powered aircraft despite gaining some information from Germany during the latter years of WW2. Primarily, they had little information or experimental data regarding long engine inlet ducts. Thus the short nacelles slung under the wings. And the Me-262 was a good starting point to imitate. The Kikka is another example of a Japanese jet that actually flew.
The Soviets did the same with their Suchoi 9 ( 1st designation ).
Kugisho R2Y2 Keiun experimental concept jet-su-9.jpg

my comment:
By 1945, there was nothing they could do against the relentless air bombardment and most projects were just that.

I am always fascinated by experimental and project planes and this is one I barely knew.

Thank you for your observation.

Isaac