View Single Post

Old 01-15-2021, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Thoroughly Disappointed X-37B

I have finished with my attempts at the X-37B and as the title states, I'm not pleased. I admit I have no practice with airplane building, so the failure is entirely mine. But as this kit will join my 1:48 scale active duty UAVs, perhaps when I have recovered from self-loathing I'll take another stab.

There are two models (that I'm aware of) for this space plane. One from Justin M hosted on Lower Hudson Valley's site and the other on Cannon's paper models page.

Justin has a very good shape and layout for his kit. Helped by internal formers, the shape of the fuselage and wings are very close to reference pictures and drawings. However, I was unable to complete the build as I could not seem to get the cuts in the and fit of the pieces to match up. I'm not sure if my print scale was off, or I was misunderstanding the cut points, but I failed and had to set it aside.

Canon's kit is much simpler and based on an early test flight. The markings are therefore crisper and some details like the position of panels and the engine bell are better laid out. But, in some aspects the fit was hampered by overlay glue-tabs rather than back-supported glue tabs on butt-joints. IF I do this build again, I think I will cut off the provided tabs and create my own, but in the same positions. There are also helpful alignment marks on the dorsal line ... but, I missed a few of those queues and since the build goes from nose to tail, the mistakes get pronounced along the way. The result is a torqued fuselage poor fit at the wing roots. :sigh:

Well, anyhow, I thought I would share my experience and commiserate with those who have gone before. Now to find a stiff scotch on the rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoroughly Disappointed X-37B-img_1522.jpg   Thoroughly Disappointed X-37B-img_1521.jpg   Thoroughly Disappointed X-37B-img_1518.jpg   Thoroughly Disappointed X-37B-img_1519.jpg   Thoroughly Disappointed X-37B-img_1520.jpg