View Single Post

Old 01-21-2021, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
I do keep thinking about it, Don - will sense prevail and our home remain unencumbered by yet another over large model flying machine?? Or will foolish sentiment override domestic considerations of just where would I put the damn thing! It would be quite enormous at 1/100 scale and I already have the Brabazon and the Saunders Roe Princess at the same scale, plus the Victor and TSR 2 at 1/50 ? Time will tell!

Meanwhile, and as promised, pdfs attached of the drawings for the Arend; not too much to say about how to build really in such expert company as this forum offers. Designed around the use of 160 gsm card and A4 sheets (the pdfs are on A3 because that's the way to do it apparently) but I recommend 80 gsm paper for wing fairings. There's an enlarged part section of the engine cowling radiussed front edge on the nacelle sheet to show how the edges are layered up in card and then carefully sandpapered/carved away to shape; after coating with pva, paint with watercolour or gouache. Wheels are likewise layered up and suitably rounded off; main wheel hub caps are carefully dished before fixing.

If wanted, the prints can be scaled to suit but remember to adjust formers etc. for a differing card thickness; a stack of 1000 sheets of 160 gsm card is 18mm in thickness, so I allowed 0.18mm for all components, including double thickness at the joining strips.

After building the fuselage frame (paper parts spraymounted onto cereal box cardboard) start at the centre under the wings and work back and forward from there; I rolled and stuck each section and then added the joining strips before sliding onto the frame and the successive diminishing cones went on well - apply glue inside the rear edge of the cone to fixed. There is an additional longitudinal strip to be applied centrally along the inside of the centre part to line through with the thickness of the joiner strip strips of the adjacent components.

The completed wing frame was glued (UHU) onto the inside of the lower face of the pre-formed wing component at the correct distance from the trailing edge and the rest of the panel then rolled over it and sealed at the trailing edge (pva). I always find it so easy to build in a warp at this point so constant adjustment is needed before it all dries hard.

Engine nacelles were not completely satisfactory; I'm pretty sure I got the correct shapes but perhaps the wing panels weren't tight enough to the frame, as a good deal of trimming was needed on the outer nacelles in particular.

That's about it; if anyone tries this and needs any further help, post a query and I'll answer.

Best wishes to all

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 1.pdf (1.98 MB, 97 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 2.pdf (1.32 MB, 79 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 3.pdf (470.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 4.pdf (605.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 5.pdf (331.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 6.pdf (738.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 7.pdf (333.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf F 36 sht. 8.pdf (987.5 KB, 75 views)