View Single Post

Old 01-25-2021, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Butelczynski,
MM published "Wodnik" four times + one more by another publisher (see picture).
I wrote a little more about the difficulties related to the reconstruction of ships from Oliwa on Polish forums, mainly because I do not feel strong enough to present these intricacies and details in a foreign language. Besides, they are not about my thoughts, but the collected knowledge from the work of people who often spent half their lives researching the history of the Battle of Oliwa. Although your location is in Ontario, "Butelczynski" is Polish in essence, so maybe Polish is not foreign to you. If this is the case, please visit the Konradus forum where I wrote a little more, or directly to the "hardcore" knowledge, i.e. timberships.fora.pl.
Are the older studies of "Meermann" in Maly Modelarz correct to any degree? Opinions of researchers and modellers are rather negative, ie especially older editions are based on the modification of "Rotter Lowe" drawings. Is she correct? Supposedly built in the Netherlands, so Ab Hoving could say more about the "Rotter Lowe" lines. I know that some of the drawings in the book "Risse von Schiffen des 16. und 17. Jahrhunderts" are far from the truth, but I don't remember if it concerns "Rotter Lowe". If even the hull of the "R.L." is reasonably correct, the rigging and details of "Meermann" are developed at a very low level. Rigging is greatly simplified, so with some ambition you should make corrections and additions on your own using other sources. As far as I know, some details on board are horrendously scaled, so they should also be made from scratch.
From the purely modeling point of view, you must remember that modeling in a 50-year-old cardboard is terrible. Such old paper must first be reinforced, for example, with acrylic varnish, although in Poland we usually use "heavy" chemicals, e.g. floor primer :-))) If you like any of these models, try :-)

Best
Tomek
Attached Thumbnails
"Meermann" or "Wodnik" 1627 (1:100, scratch)-beznazwy-1.jpg