View Single Post

Old 01-25-2021, 10:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
2nd Flight Photos-Heading East

First photo is the Kenai Peninsula. Hoping this helps with my descriptions of each photo. The Kenai Peninsula is huge. We have Boroughs here in Alaska, not counties.

This map photo only shows a part of the Peninsula, Where it says Kenai Fjords National Park is the Harding Icefield, easy to see how big it is:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-kenai-peninsula.jpg

Here is a map photo showing the Sterling Hwy 1 and the Kenai River from Kenai Lake to Skilak:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-kenai-lake-skilak-kenai-river.jpg

This photo shows Skilak Lake looking East as I head into the mountains at 7500ft altitude, you can see the braided river that empties from The Harding Icefield into Skilak (looks like frozen river):
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0839.jpg

Heading right at the moon, The valley that I'm flying towards is the Kenai River from Kenai Lake to Skilak, Hidden lake is the frozen lake at about 12;30 position at the right front edge of my engine cowling:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0851.jpg

Mt Denali Looking North through the haze:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0852.jpg

Kenai Mountains looking northeast from 7500ft altitude. Normally I fly between 6500ft and 4500ft if I'm flying the valleys; today, I'm still in the process of breaking in a new engine cylinder so extra altitude just in case, started to climb up to 9500ft for even more clearance now that I'm entering the mountains:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0856.jpg

Kenai Lake and Cooper Landing, Alaska, drift boat guides abound, the river in this section is a trout fishing mecca, some sections are setup for trophy fishing only; small one have to be released, yes the straight white frozen line is the highway from Anchorage to Kenai:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0870.jpg

Looking South where the Russian River and it's lakes junction with the Kenai River, in the summer half of Anchorage is here fishing for Red Salmon, Single track hiking/horse/bicycle trail can be used to access this valley, lots of bear/human interaction. Bears usually don't mess with people, but every once in awhile someone gets too close to a cub, or the bear gets annoyed with so many people, and mauling's happen:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0889.jpg

Flying down the Kenai River valley, Cooper landing is underneath me, you can see the gravel white airstrip just off my nose spinner. Lake is Kenai Lake, the moon still guiding me:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0923.jpg

Quick look to the North. This is Resurrection Trail. It travels from Hope, Alaska to Cooper Landing. Single track trail with out any roads or homes. 38.8 Miles long and is awesome to bike ride. Bears, lots of bears, wolf packs, moose and Mountain sheep/Goats can be seen here. The frozen lake in the Center is Juneau Lake that has forest service cabins you can rent. With the rent you get a row boat to use for fishing-Land locked Silvers, Rainbow and Lake Trout and burbot are the main fish to catch, these are wild no fish are planted:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0927.jpg

More to follow, really took quite a few photos.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-25-2021 at 10:47 PM. Reason: adding descriptions