View Single Post

Old 01-27-2021, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale

Soldering the outer shrouds was not a success! My main concern was to avoid distortion due to expansion and I succeeded in that but, when I separated the shrouds from the jig, they curled into vertical semi-tubes and I could not make them flat.

Accordingly, I started from the beginning but used CA only. This worked very well and I only had two ratlines loosen while cleaning up the pieces (which was simple to correct). Now I can assemble with confidence the lower shrouds for the port side and all four sets of shrouds for the topmasts. I just have to steel myself for the next phase which is making and fitting almost ninety deadeyes and their lanyards.

In the meantime, today saw the installation of the stays for the mainmast: mainstay, main topmast stay, and main topgallant stay. Prinz Adalbert’s mainstay and main topmast stay were doubled because they had to pass on either side of the funnel. The model’s stays once again are Albion Alloys 0.3mm and 0.2mm brass rod. The only remaining standing rigging task is fitting the backstays but that must wait until I have the shrouds in place.

I also fitted the peak halliards for the two gaffs. Since these are standing gaffs, there was no need to fit throat halliards.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-41.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-42.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-43.jpg