View Single Post

Old 01-27-2021, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
There the good David Maier has actually only considered 54 Track shoes per truck chain in his Paper kit, what I should actually ask him.
Once have become skeptical, I've then remeasured a few more places on his truck and came across further discrepancies that now make me very insecure about the dimensional accuracy of his Crawler kit.

My disenchantment was still increased after I had checked the dimensions of his truck body and compared the center-to-center distance of the Main sprockets with the one in the drawing, which in the kit is 6 mm too short and is only 56 mm instead of 62 mm, for whatever reason,

Source: Library of Congress (HAER FL-8-11-C-32)

which can be clearly seen in this image through the paper truck body (1:160) laid on top, wherewith I now have a real problem and first have to put on the Crawler glasses once again.

What calms me down a bit, on the other hand, is the fact that my truck chain with 57 Track shoes matches the drawing (1:160) pretty well, whereupon can be built up.

But that wasn't still the last rotten egg in David Maier's Paper kit, because the dimensions of the Crawler chassis structure with 227 mm x 93 mm instead of 246 mm x 102 mm are also not correct, which would actually be a reason for complaint in normal life, but that doesn't help me too.

Now I need some good advice, which is why I have to come up with something else, and why I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)