View Single Post

Old 02-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Back in the mists of time, I was a small small boy in Kenya!

In the centre of Nairobi, there was a large Department Store (of the very old fashioned kind) that had a section with models.

I was around 9 or 10 ten and didn't have much pocket money so bought what I could afford in form of models.

In those days the shop had a big range of Eagle 1/1200 plastic ship kits and with my meager money, I could then afford one or two of these. They were tiny and fiddly but for a small boy very satisfying. I still remember the first Eagle model I built - 5 tiny 3 part submarines on one display stand - so they must have made an impression on me.

Eagle models were made by Eaglewall and for anyone interested here is a link to a book review on the company and models...

http://steelnavy.com/EaglewallBook.htm

One day I went in and was looking through the little boxes when I noticed beside them a set of "postcards". Except on closer inspection, these turned out to be Micromodels (the originals).

One, in particular, caught my eye, the Mammoth Shovel Excavator.

So, I paid up. But it was way beyond my skill levels. So a second and a third kit were purchased - still a disaster. I then realized that these were way beyond my capabilities, but bought another to keep (which I still have ravaged by time and insects)..I then started collecting as many as I could and that ignited a passion with me for Micromodels that I still have today!

Paper modeling was thereafter very spotty - to get a paper model in Africa was a tough task, but Cornflake Manufacturers were generous, and sometimes I was able to beg postcard models!

And I have never remade in my later years the Mammoth Steam Shovel - I really need to!
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get started in paper models?-capture.jpg