View Single Post

Old 03-03-2021, 01:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
bit more on life size Neil's left arm

Dear all

So I am trying to make time to do be able to some on the model regularly and have managed to progress Neil's left arm a bit more.

I wanted the "join" of the arms, legs, torso etc to be as good a fit as possible. It does noes not need to be "invisible" because the suit had noticeable seems where it was stitched together.

For this reason I saved the "outers" of the card I used to make the formers for the "ends of the shoulders" of the torsos so I could make (hopefully) good matching formers for the tops of the arms.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14072.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14073.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14074.jpg

As you can see I used the Wolf cutter. It is really good and now essential for me. My hands have deteriorated considerably this last year and I just could not cut this sort of card without the cutter.

Next I considered the former at the wrist end of the arm. My current thinking is that the arms and gloves will be detachable from each other and my method of joining is "bulldog clips". So I needed to decide what size clips to use as this governs the width of the former.

There seem to be 4 standard sizes available of widths 50, 32,25 and 20 mm.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14076.jpg

I have been using the 50 mm size for the previous joins. I thought about weight and size of clip compared to the "tightness" of the curve where they were joining along with strength of grip

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14077.jpg

So after some experimentation and guesswork, I opted for the 25 mm clip size (so the one at the bottom of the above photo). This then governed the width of the former.

The other thing I thought about was the fact that the diameter of the wrist of the arm is considerably smaller than the diameter of the non finger end of the glove (which are basically gauntlets). I knew it would irritate me if when I joined the gloves onto the arms I did not get them "centred". I decided the easiest way to ensure they joined together satisfactorily was to make the hole in the wrist former a perfect circle and have the hole in the (to be made) glove former also a perfect circle of the same size. That way when joining, simply line up the "holes" on the inside of the model which should be easy just by feel when clipping together. Well that is the theory at least! So I cut out the hole in the wrist former made as accurately as I possibly could.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14078.jpg

Next to assemble the arm

Regards

Kevin