View Single Post

Old 03-28-2021, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Cockpit finished

Hi Tom, Dan, Gary, Sergio and rbakerj, thanks again for following. I admit, a detailed cockpit is a true bonus to any model, despite the fact that you usually won't see much of the end result. Somehow it's very satisfying work and I can't deny, for me it plays an important role to buy a particular model .

The work continues with the pilot's seat. Lot's of small parts and tiny plastic rods that form the attachment points to the main structure. It took me a while to fully understand how to attach the bullet proof armor behind the seat, as the iso views of the instruction drawings are sometimes not exactly showing what you like to see. Almost glued it wrongly. Along with actual cockpit pictures, the end result must be correct. Finally, I was surprised to find out that it was relatively easy to glue the seat into position. The kit is just extremely precise.

Then the last details and the most tricky part of it all: To join both cockpit halves. After endless dry-fitting I was sure that it all would fit well.

Started with gluing the upper edges, as they provide the best reference point for proper outlining. Then, gradually working downwards until the bottom ends meet.
The skins are printed on the back page of the model book and that's why the funny camouflage at this point of the build.
Last time I mentioned that it looked like the back-end cockpit former was seemingly just too big, but as it turned out, in fact it wasn't. Lesson Learned: Don't correct too fast; trust the model's accuracy.

One thing to mention: Just aft of the cockpit, the antenna mast will be placed. To help (hopefully) a stable structure, I inserted a small rolled up tube just below the location of the mast, with an open core to fit the extended mast. The mast itself will be a metal pin, as per the model's design.

Pfew, that's done. I ticked off all the parts on the instruction drawings to be absolutely sure no part's forgotten. Next will be the outside skins.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4938.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4952.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4953.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4961.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4962.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4963.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4965.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4966.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4967.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4968.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4969.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e4999.jpg