View Single Post

Old 04-10-2021, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Cowling finished and a bit other small stuff

Thank you Gary, Tom, David, Wireandpaper, Yoav, Dan, Isaac and Kevin, that's a lot of responses!

@Isaac, Kevin, Gary and Dan: Indeed a lot of frames but when installing the cowling it feels like you're shaping it so smoothly around those frames, it's almost like sculpting. On the other hand, there would be nothing wrong with the conventional method of sections and formers. In any case, if you look at the entire assembly from just a short distance, the shape really looks round, no edges or straight parts that in fact should have been curved. Really a smart design.
@Tom: I have a SEP rating (Single Engine/Pilot) rating so after a few hours of instruction I would be honored to fly this machine .

Next is to install a small dia 2mm brass tube inside the cowling with a 1mm dia brass pin that fits inside the tube. Although I prepared the propeller cores already, the blades will follow later. It runs very smoothly!

Finally the spinner with the inside pin attached to it, and I'm happy that the petal construction turned out nicely. I'm using a circle template for pressing the petals evenly together and then apply a bit of glue to hold them in position. Lastly, to firm up the assembly, small scraps of thin paper glued at the inside to ensure the petals stay together.

Also installed the small bubbles on the cowling and exhaust pipes. Small parts of which the many sides need to be shaped and glued very accurately. It's obvious that the Spitfire had a long nose, because of the inline Merlin engine, as you can see in the last picture.

Next will be something more "shape defining": The empennage section.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5133.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5134.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5146.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5147.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5148.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5151.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5152.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5157.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5158.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5161.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5163.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5164.jpg