View Single Post

Old 05-01-2021, 05:02 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
08 – Forward Superstructure

Thank you Joe.

Good progress has been made with the forward superstructure. It includes some experimentation with lamination. I have always laminated/doubled the thickness of card for frames and sometimes for decks. I decided to try laminating paper. For the support frame (Image 55), I was looking for something thicker than paper, but thinner than card. So I laminated/doubled the thickness of my 20lb paper stock. It worked out quite well. It remained easy to cut, but did not have as much loose paper fiber along the edges . . . perhaps because of the glue between the two layers. I am very happy with the result.

Image 56 shows the support frame pieces (upper right) after all the cutting was done. Also in this image is the (paper) bridge, its parquet floor and rolled paper support columns for the navigation deck.

Image 57 displays the simple balsa jig I created to help keep the navigation deck support columns straight and uniform during installation.

Image 59 includes the lower superstructure, the laminated assembled support frame and something I seldom use: a laser cut steering wheel for the bridge. The company I am employed by has a customer that works in graphics arts. They use laser cutters, so I paid (dearly) for them to create a few laser cut parts for Ulfberht. There will be a few more laser parts in the future, and I will point them out as they appear. The wheel was cut from 0.026” card stock.

The final images show the lower superstructure and navigation deck coming together.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-055-print-layout-arches.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-056-bridge-support-columns.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-057-support-columns-installation-jig.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-058-underside-nav-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-059-forward-superstructure-assemblies.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-060-navigation-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-061-navigation-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-062-navigation-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-063-test-fit-nav-deck.jpg