View Single Post

Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello friends,

the break was long enough, and since Sascha1990 has probably said goodbye forever, I have shelved my 3D Printing Considerations for now.

Most likely I had thought of the 16 Propel motors, four of which drive one of the four Truck pairs and thereby move the huge Crawler forward.

Source: NASA

In David Maier's Kit, these motors form a unit with the gearbox housing and must be laboriously folded and glued together from these parts,

whereby the details in the typical Maier design are only indicated by partially blurred textures,

what then looks like this at the finished model of my friend Michael Knobloch.

What bothers me even more are the even more rustic-looking modules of the JEL Hydraulic cylinders for equalization the crawler on the slant Crawlerway up to the pad,

Source: papermodelers.com (mk311049)

which are only built box-shaped and covered with textured wallpaper,

what is immediately noticeable on closer inspection and therefore would not please me.

That is why I thought for a long time how I could at least partially circumvent these inadequacies in David Maier's Paper Kit.

To do this, I firstly again dealt more intensively with Mischa Klement's Crawler Kit (1/96) and the few construction reports about it and then contacted the master who had briefly introduced his unprecedented Crawler in our German Raumcon forum a long time ago in the topic Paper models.

Source: Mischa Klement (cyana)
His kit consists of approx. 11.000 parts (0,4 mm to 40 cm) and is without exaggeration High-End Paper Modeling, whereby the Crawler is a true work of art in museum quality due to its impressive level of detail.

The kit has been available since 2010 and is limited to 499 pieces worldwide, but is not for the faint of heart, which is why so far only a few modelers have successfully completed the construction of this monster, of which I know three, whose construction reports I am followed and studied with interest.

Due to the high level of detail, these assemblies look worlds better by Micro Artwork, here just the components for a Propel motor and beside it the finished pair Gearbox housings with motors,

as well as here on the finished model.

And in his extensive building instructions (48 pages) everything is illustrated and described in detail.
Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)