View Single Post

Old 05-07-2021, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The wings - Part 3

Hello and thanks once more for your reactions . Indeed, the back and white (or light blue and black) underside was meant for distinguishing between friend and foe, both from the air as well as from the ground.

Leif, good to hear from you again, I hope you are well!

Well, the moment of truth has arrived: The upper wing skins and leading edges....

I started with the left top skin. First, make sure that the skin is accurately pre-shaped at the leading edge. To ensure proper alignment, I first glued the skin to the central wing section and in order to reinforce the wing surface, I laminated the inside with paper patches that fit in between the structure. I didn’t do this at the bottom side. Laminating is not required but over the years it has become a habit that prevents accidental denting and unwanted “shining through” of ribs and spars.

Then the entire skin and central wing section was glued onto the ribs and spars, with exception of the leading edge. I used UHU for this (acetate glue). The fit is very good.
Then bit by bit I applied a bit of white glue at the pre-shaped edge of each of the upper and lower skins and mated them by gently rubbing the edges with my fingers. After working the entire length of the wing this way I finally ran the shaft of a screwdriver along the wing to smooth the joint (is this what you call "burnishing"?).
The result is an almost perfectly sharp leading edge. To my surprise and relief, the entire process was relatively fast and above all, much easier than expected. In this respect, all credits to the design of this model. The pictures should give an impression of the assembly. The right wing was done in a similar way.

Nothing particular to note on the ailerons, pretty standard work and they fit well on the hinges.

Next are the remaining wing details and then the entire assembly can be fixated to the fuselage.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5251.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5252.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5253.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5254.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5257.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5259.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5260.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5261.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5265.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5268.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5269.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5270.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5271.jpg