View Single Post

Old 05-08-2021, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Apollo 11 CM - Ken West mod kit

Not sure if anyone will be interested in this, but it interests me...

I've always had a fascination with all things Space and Rocket...
I was there for the Apollo program (even if I was young).
And the recent loss of Mike Collins (and Neil Armstrong) turned on the memory lane lights.

Anyway, this was a private request...it interested me, and I thought it might make a viable retail project.
*I'm honestly not sure it will sell, but I can justify the work in my mind by saying "it interests me, and it might sell"" LOL

It will be an "add-on" kit, similar to what I did with Ken West's SR-71 model.
Ken has given me his thumb's up for the project.
I'll try to keep it cheap, maybe a few dollars.

It'll contain parts to modify the outside of Ken's Apollo Capsule to look more like the Apollo 11 Capsule "Columbia" after re-entry and splashdown.

I am focused specifically on Columbia, which I have already discovered looked quite a bit different than other Apollo capsules.

I'm referring mainly to the re-entry/splashdown look, but there are some physical differences between capsules and with Ken's model.
I'll talk about those differences as I update.

FYI I have exhausted the web searching for reference images and have plenty to work from.
So, while I appreciate the desire to inundate me with photos of Apollo 11...don't...thanks.
I'll even try to share some of the reference sources in case you can't find them.

I've been working on this for a few weeks now, so I have plenty to report.
Thats why I decided to start this thread.
I've already learned a few things I didn't know...and I want to share some of that.
More on this as it progresses.