Thread: "birding" fun
View Single Post

Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Got back last night from the folks and there was now owlet at the hole. Not there this AM either, so I rechecked. According to the Missouri Department of Conservation, this little fellow should be leaving the nest the last week of May/first week of June. Checked my Barney photos from two years ago and it was 20190611 when he left the nest. Over the weekend we had a brief but very strong thunderstorm, so I was a tad worried. So, tonight I tried doing my pathetically poor imitation of a baby owl, and I got a response, but couldn't see from where. Eventually I heard it again, so moved closer and tried again. Momma started trying to intimidate me by flying to limbs just over my head. The closer I got to where I eventually spotted the wee owl, the lower the limb above my head. So I went back in for a few.

When I went back out, I started my search by looking for Momma. Once I spotted her, it wasn't too hard to spot the little one. Why it left the nest so early, I will never know, but I wish the little thing a good bit of luck. It will probably need it.
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-20210510_194224.jpg