View Single Post

Old 05-14-2021, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Part V

With all the preparations done we can finally start rigging. Square-rigged ships are always a lot more work than sprit and gaff rigged types, due to all the blocks and lines needed to manage these sails. The building of the hull cost me less than a week, rigging took twice as long.
Usually the standing rigging is done first, but with my method op preparing the masts with everything complete, it is a different story. What has to be done anyway are the shrouds and their ratlines. The shrouds were mounted together with the sails, so all we need to do is strop their deadeyes. Both for the lanyards and the ratlines I use white line. It is better for my eyes, but they have to be stained afterwards. Some people keep their lanyards white because they are part of the running rigging, but I don’t think that is correct. Istudied paintings and original models and never saw any white lanyards. So I paint them after they are done with acetone based aniline.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-21.jpg

The ratlines should be done with the appropriate knots, after which every knot is secured with a drop of CA glue. It is a good idea also to secure every block with glue as soon the right setting is reached. This prevents endless trimming afterwards and it hardly shows. For the right and even distances between them I use a piece of card on which the lines are drawn.
This vessel was given some additional swivel guns and placing personnel on board is a matter of taste.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-22.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-23.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-24.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-25.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-26.jpg

So here is the result. As you can see, there are no bellowing sails this time. My inspiration came from an etching by Gerrit Groenewegen, showing a hooker, drying its sails. Emiel translated this piece of art in a photographic impression that speaks for itself. The model was built, to be used as a prop for this plate. It was a lot of fun.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-27.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-nr-28.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-18.-hoeker-en-kaag-kopie.jpg

Thank you for reading, hope you like it.