View Single Post

Old 05-19-2021, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

in order to finally get a real idea of the size of such a Propel Motor in my scale (1/160), I have tried just for the fun of it to scratch such a motor from plastic, and have quickly realized what a midget it is.

For the base body of the motor I've used an Evergreen profile 4,8 x 6,3 mm, which I've cut on the narrow side with the precision saw on approx. 5 mm.

Then I've drawn the octagonal shape of the motor housing onto the front side,

and afterwards I have filed down the four corners, whereby I had to be very careful not to take away too much.

On this approx. 7 mm long octagonal base body I have glued on the two disks (part 3) for fixing the retaining plate (part 5) for mounting the brake shoes of the brake disc (parts 9/10).

Source: Micro Artwork, Mischa Klement (cyana)

Then it was the turn of the front brake disc shaft and the rear drive shaft.

For the retaining plate I've used Styrene 0,15 mm and for the brake disc Styrene 0,3 mm,

which were then glued, as well as the two rear ventilation openings (part 33) and the cable box (part 35) on the inside of the (left) motor. The ending was formed by the four small feet (parts 20-23) made of Styrene 0,15 mm, which were glued to the underside of the base body, wherewith I then wanted initially let it go at that.

And there he lies now, the (unfinished) proud midget that I fiddled around with for a few hours,

the one with approx. 14 mm length has place on my Euro Cent coin,

and whose brake disc with Ø 5 mm, as already announced, stands comfortably on the globe of the coin.

Here one can see for comparison the original Propel motors in the older version, relevant for my STS-6 Crawler,

Source: Library of Congress (HAER FL-8-11-C-3)

as well as here after upgrading and modernization of the Crawler Transporters for the SLS Program, which can be easily recognized by the stronger blue brake shoes.

Source: NASA

Because I now know the amount of hand work involved in crafting one motor, I hope all the more that we can get right a printable 3D model for a Set of 16 + 2 reserve motors.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)