View Single Post

Old 05-22-2021, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I am running Blender 2.9.
One of the issues is finding up to date tutorials...each version of the software has undergone significant changes.
For some reason, they like to keep messing with basic tools and layout, making it confusing when you are looking at older tutorials!

Blender was created by blending a number of different software and 3D modeling steps into one software
...hence the name Blender.

A paper modeler needs only be concerned with the first steps of 3D modeling in Blender, the building of the 3D shapes.
The trick is learning the basic functions and operations in Blender, which is known not to be the most intuitive software for beginners.

Blenders shaping, smoothing, skinning, texturing, lighting, rigging, animation, video editing, etc abilities are really not needed for proper paper model design.
But you could create a 3D model, then apply skins and textures...and then use Pepakura to unfold a low quality version (as a paper model).

There are a number of plug-ins that work with Blender for "unfolding" shapes into flat 2D elements (and avoid Pepakura).

Once shapes are unfolded into flat 2D elements, they can be exported as a vector file and imported into any graphics program and coloured, textured, etc in higher quality.

Adding glue tabs is a fairly simple manual operation (although time consuming) that can also be done in graphics editing.