View Single Post

Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Palmetto State 1-72 scale

I had a bunch ask so I am starting a new project. I am real bad at getting side tracked with something new so I figured if this is ever getting done, I had better start a thread on it.

This is (will be) the CSS Palmetto State, a 172 foot long ironclad with four guns, operating with good effect from 1862-65. It had a long career as Confederate ironclads go, and even though it was built around a real small stam engine, the engine was reliable. It might make only five knots, but at least it could always make at last five knots. Some faster ironclads were oftin left dead in the water when the bigger engine quit working!

The model will be rather detailed. I have includd a picture of the top deck, the deck above the casement.The openings will be for the pilot house (locaded aft in the old navy style!) the stack, the vent, and som gratd hatch ways with removable hatches. Also, a gally stove pipe will come up through one of the hatches. The csemnt will have a removable side to show the guns, two Brookes pivots, and two Dahlgrens on old fashioned trucks. Seperat interior pieces will include the deck rails for the pivots, wench for the anchor chains, ladders, pilot house stand with double wheel and gally stove.

I have the basic ship done from the waterline up and I will probebly make this a full hull model. I also have the barrel done for the Brooks gun and I am working on the pivot now.

And as a side note, when I get the Pivot and Bookes gun ready, I am going to put it up in the free downloads so you can get an idea of what this beast will be like. I hope that I have not bit off more then I can chew!

The finished length should be around 28 inches long.