View Single Post

Old 06-23-2021, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have no opinion on who designed either of these models, I am not pointing fingers at anyone.

But I do have an opinion on designing and selling a model, so this is for any designer...

1. If you can design a model, then you can design a cover. Your own cover.
It takes the same effort and skills and usually, the same software.
But if you don't have the software, there are free graphics creation programs out there, so no excuse.
ecardmodels also provides a basic cover template if you're too lazy to create your own...you need only slap a photo on and type a name for your model.

2. If you design a model, it must be test built.
(unless its just a repaint and theres proof of test build not affected by the repaint...although even repaints need test builds to guaranty artwork alignment)
Either test build it yourself (recommended because its invaluable experience)
or get a trusted modeler to test build it for you.
This is a "must do" and I would personally not accept a model into my shop if it wasn't test built.

3. Test building also allows you to take photos of the finished model which you can use on your cover and for the store listing.
** Taking photos these days is not beyond anyone's skills. 99% of people have a phone capable of taking photos.
Maybe not great photos, but its easy to learn a few photo basics from places like youtube.
If you don't have a camera, your neighbour or a friend will...and if you have your model test built, your builder will no doubt have a camera.

4. And if you use other people's ideas, copy their style and methods, even copy parts of their templates...its all okay,
as long as you get the required permissions to do so and make an effort to introduce as much originality as possible into your new design.
There are only so many way to make a box from paper and you will inevitably copy someone else's efforts, but its not hard to put in the effort to make it original in some way.
Just changing the livery or markings on someone else's design is not "original" and will require express permission from the original designer to do so (if you plan on redistributing it).

There is absolutely no excuse not to do any of these things if you wish to design and sell your own model.
I would not sell your model if you refuse to follow any of these steps.