View Single Post

Old 06-28-2021, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Okay, so here's my last update for a little bit, I think. I tend to work on these projects in spurts, and below is the result of the latest on.

The model has it's outer layer of planking going on now, which reaches down from the bulwarks and just now reached the waterline, as you can see in the last photo.

This is the first paper model where I've cut along the lines of the planking to make it more like a planked hull. So far, so good.

I've had a slight issue with the alignment of the planks with the gun ports and the stem and sternposts. But, I'm using the gun ports for any alignment issues. The plank strips seem like they're coming up maybe 1mm short at one end and 1mm long at the other. The overage is easy to deal with. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that where the planks are coming up a little short, the gap may be hidden when I add the actual stem and sternposts.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the planking. The seams between planking strips was initially bothering me. But, then I realized that there are thick planks that go on in certain places, over this plank layer. These seem to mostly be along these visible seams. So, I think they will somewhat hide the seams later in the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2665.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2664.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2666.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2667.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2673.jpg  

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com