View Single Post

Old 07-08-2021, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Hull, stacks, and bridge done - soon to finish!

SLOW progress, although the next 5 should be easier and faster now.
Note that my Scale Selector at the top of its plan does come out to 2.5 inches as it should for 1:1200.
The bigger - 1:300+ - model is the ModelCAD prototype I did about 10 years ago now! 😮
When I've finished the 1:1200 ... soon now ... I'll have the gun turrets on both.

Actually, the optimal scale paper model ship scale would be 1:900. I did my very first cardstock paper model ship design - a Sims class destroyer - at that scale, and it's big enough to see on the floor and a very workable scale for paper modeling. Maybe I can make an alternative array sized to A4/letter. One of the Kongos would fit on one too. An Essex class aircraft carrier would be more than that sheet size in length, though.
1:900 is big enough to see - like 1:700 - and an excellent floor scale, being smaller than the 1:700s.

(It's a real pity Europe doesn't have the American paper sizes. Legal size - 8.5x14 vs. letter's 8.5x11 - was ideal for paper model ship plans. I even brought over a couple reams to Norway, albeit as normal paper for a book of plans.) Staples is in Norway, but they wouldn't get a shipment of legal size for me.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1:1200 Japanese WW2 Shiratsuyu destroyer design, building-1200shiratsuyubldgrdcd.jpg