View Single Post

Old 07-10-2021, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Hot dog! How did you pick that up! I had to scratch around now to confirm that! Very good!
Details and my brain have an interesting relationship: I have two brain cells that feel it's their sole job to pick up on obscure details, notice patterns, etc...

(They, in turn, get a few more brain cells involved and...)

Once, at 70 MPH, I noticed the brickwork on a hotel was done with a different pattern than the other buildings. When I circled back and pointed this out to someone else in the car, I was told "Only you would notice that..."

Also, I am a foamer and (usually) know my railroads and equipment.

Seriously, for me it's more a matter of first seeing areas, sizes, and general shapes in relation to each other rather than specific details off the bat.

In the screenshot in question, I noticed the "blotch" that was the numbers in the number boards was too wide for a three-digit number, it therefore must be a four-digit number.

Clicking on the bar to enlarge the photo on my computer's browser, I found out I was correct: The loco had been numbered 8122.

As I looked at the loco, another detail immediately jumped out: The size and shape of the various parts of the radiator section.

The lower screens have two sections at two different angles, the vertical side of the radiators is thicker, and the front face has a vertical then sloped then horizontal profile.

Southern Pacific, GE widecab, four-digit road number: It should be a C44-9W. (A three-digit number was used on the very similar but still different AC4400CW.)

Radiators as I described: All spotting elements of GE's "GEVO" locomotives.

Since many of the other screenshots had GEVO locos in them (UP and BNSF), I figured someone did a re-skin of one of those models and voila- an SP widecab that is still a good-looking element of the simulator.

Last edited by sgoti; 07-10-2021 at 02:38 PM.